Western Region Volleyball
Coaches Code of Conduct
Volleyball is played for enjoyment, health and social reasons. This code of conduct is a guide to the manner of behaviour expected from all participants. It is intended to assist everyone to obtain maximum benefit and enjoyment from their involvement in Volleyball.
1. Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of coaching principles and methods appropriate to the level of your team. Be reasonable in your demands of players.
2. Demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of the rules and develop this within your team.
3. Keep your knowledge current.
4. Ensure that equipment and facilities meet safety standards and are appropriate to the age and ability of the players.
5. You should be a positive role model for your players when dealing with officials. Your behaviour needs to demonstrate a respect for officials and an acceptance of their judgment.
6. Encourage your team to show respect towards your opponents including their coaches.
7. Be a good sport, control your temper and accept loss in a dignified manner.
8. Encourage children to always play by the rules.
9. Teach children that giving their best effort while playing is more important than achieving a victory. Focus on the importance of the development of skills and playing the game in a sportsmanlike manner.
10. Promote desirable personal and social behaviours.
11. Group players according to age, height, skills and physical maturity, whenever possible. Give all players a reasonable amount of court time.
12. Act responsibly when players are ill or injured.
13. Avoid inappropriate physical contact or personal relationships with players.
14. Remember that Volleyball is played for enjoyment.
15. Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every person.
16. Always respect the use of facilities and equipment provided.