Teaching Handball in the Elementary Schools
Lesson 1 (Grades K-l)
· Eye/Hand Coordination Drills
· Develop eye/hand coordination.
· Develop one-handed striking skills of smaller objects.
· Balloons, large Nerf (foam) balls
· Any controlled area. Indoor area is better.
· Student taps (strikes) balloon 3 times with right hand. Same with left.
· Student taps balloon once with right hand and once with left hand.
· "See how many times you can tap with your right hand. " Same with left.
· RELAYS - Groups of 3 or 4. Student does tapping activity then passes balloon to next person.
· "Tap the balloon to yourself with your right hand, then tap to your partner."
· "How many times can you tap with your right hand in 10 seconds?" Same with left.
· Student taps balloon within a limited space, such as a hula hoop. As tapping in a controlled space is mastered, movement may be even more limited by having student kneel or sit within the hoop.